Monday, January 26, 2009

Will he decide to move back to his "kingdom"?

Crusoe names his new found friend, Friday – he decided to name him this because this was the day that the found him on. Crusoe now spends his time trying to teach Friday how to speak English, and teaches him to eat goat mean instead of humans. I thought this was an interesting turning point in the novel. Crusoe has been living in fear of cannibals, yet all of a sudden he decides to take Friday in – and takes care of him by feeding, clothing, and teaching him. What gave him the courage to give Friday a chance? As the novel continues I noticed Crusoe and Friday’s relationship has grown stronger. With his new friends or slaves – whatever you wish to call them he has a chance to get off this island – to return home. He has wanted this so much and when he finally returns to his home town in Europe he hates it, and can’t stand it. When he returns he has no family, no friends, no one – he is just as isolated in the place that he deserted as he was on the island – the island that he made his kingdom. Will he return to this island?

1 comment:

  1. That is why it is so important to appreciate what one currently has!I felt this way a bit after high school. I spent all this time working so hard to get out of high school and into college. When I finally made it to college it was then that I realized how much I enjoyed high school. Funny how that works. I hope Crusoe can find what makes him happy.

    ReplyDelete