Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Robinson Crusoe VS Castaway....WHAT?!

I was sitting on the couch watching what the rest of the family was watching. Then it got me thinking and I said, "HEY! This movie is a lot like Robinson Crusoe!!" I very rarely watch tv or movies, so I was totally surprised! It allowed me to see things differently.
Having been on the island for as long as Crusoe has - I definitely think he'd be emotionally messed up if more human life arrived to help them. In the movie while Tom Hanks was on the island for that time, there wasn't any talking. Except the occasional mumble or the chat with his volleyball named Wilson. It allowed me to imagine about poor Crusoe and silence that overwhelms his life. Except to the parrot or God.
After all this time, if human aid came ... would he accept it?? If he did, he would be a completely changed person. He would have a new outlook on life, and a new appreciation for things. Everything about him would be different. If he didn't accept the help and wanted to stay on the island - why? What's keeping him there BESIDES the house he made and crops he cultivated?
It still remains a mystery.

1 comment:

  1. I find that seeing a movie helps me visualize setting in particular (I imagine characters just fine on my own), so "Castaway" would be particularly good for visualizing this novel! Having never been alone on an island myself :), it can be hard to truly understand the extreme feeling of being alone.

    ReplyDelete