Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Robinson Crusoe

In this reading we see Crusoe continue to explore the island. After being on the island now for about 15 years, Crusoe has still managed to survive. On one of his many explorations he found a footprint – one that had to have belonged to a human. His initial reaction was that of excitement – who wouldn’t feel this way after being isolated from their own kind? Then feelings shifted to that of fear and nervousness. He began to wonder if the footprint may be from someone taken over by “Satan”. With this new fear he gathered as much as he could and started to think of new ways to protect his belongings. What made him think it was an evil sign? Is it simply because there has been no human interaction, no help in over 15 years? Crusoe built his own canoe – which took a lot of time because he was making it from scratch using what he had. He uses this canoe to navigate around the exterior of the island = he never was able successfully make it around because the currents kept pulling him too far out, and he didn’t want to risk it. We see his true feelings about the island, “I was removed from all the wickedness of the world here; I had neither the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, nor the pride of life. I had nothing to covet, for I had all that I was now capable of enjoying.” (126) This shows how content he was with being on the island – he was glad to escape the daily frustrations. There is also a quote that shows him reflecting on his new relationship with God, “..for by constant study and serious application of the Word of God, and by the assistance of his grace., I gained a different knowledge from what I had before.”(126) While reading this I often wonder if the opportunity to leave this island was available then would he use it? Part of me wants to say that he would want to leave the island – I mean, if I were in this situation that’s what I would do. Deep down, I think he won’t leave for awhile mainly because he has made it his home – or as he likes to call I, kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment