Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Review for Pride and Prejudice

I didn’t really like reading Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. One thing that I can’t stand is when there’s far more characters then necessary. However, that being said, I think after reading it one time and seeing the move – if I were to reread this book I would like it. I may have just started off reading the book with a bad attitude, not having an open mind – which probably ruined it for me. The story itself now that I think of it WAS good, I do admit. There were many themes in this book. Love, Marriage, Goals, thinking about decisions and possible consequences, not to “judge a book by it’s cover”. Pre-judging led to unhappy feelings of certain characters such as Elizabeth, Wickham, and Darcy. Elizabeth fell for the wrong guy – and made assumptions about Darcy, who ended up being the guy she really wanted. It was interesting to see relationships between different characters form. It was neat to see the feelings and choices of the characters because you could often times relate it to present day situations. I admired Elizabeth because I believe that people get so caught up in being something they aren’t to impress people, or to fit in – that they lose sight as to who they are, their beliefs, their morals. Elizabeth always said what was on her mind, she didn’t fall for just any guy…just to get married like her mom wanted her to (unlike other characters – ahem, Lydia.) She was a genuine character. Overall I guess this book was okay, maybe I’ll reread it over the summer and I’ll enjoy it more.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's hard to really "enjoy" required reading. It's almost a contradictory idea! Lauren, don't forget to post this on www.librarything.com. The directions for the book review writing assignment are on my webpage in the Resources folder.

    ReplyDelete