Monday, March 9, 2009

Pride & Predjudice by Jane Austen

This book isn’t my favorite – I don’t "hate it" (that's a strong word - I'd say more .. dislike) as much as I did in the beginning but…I like the movie better! There were just so many characters and then places thrown at the reader all at once – and that just confuses me. As I read I wrote down character names and their relationships or a detail about them to help me remember. Elizabeth turned down Darcy’s proposal. I completely understand her decision. After all, Darcy did make fun of her at the first ball and said she was not pretty enough. I can’t believe Lydia ran away with Wickham!! This is bad on many levels – especially for this time. This gave the family a bad reputation. It makes it look like the parents don’t care about what their do, like they have no authoritative rule on their actions. Also, because of this now it will be hard for the daughters to get married. What guy is going to marry into a mess? Wickham wasn’t even going to marry her!! Mr. Bennett ended up having to pay Wickham to marry his daughter to somewhat save their reputation. I hope that these girls get married!

No comments:

Post a Comment